"United we bargain, divided we beg."

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I'm Not Ready!

I'm not ready for apple season! Driving around the county, I see it's definitely starting to be that time of year - everywhere I look, it seems, are heavily laden apple trees. Some have already dropped their apples all over the ground. Our pear tree is covered in pears, and they are starting to fall. We already have a big box set aside to ripen.


I do love apple season. I love pressing apples, I love fresh cider (Apple Madness). I love teaming up with local homebrewers and trying to make hard cider. I love making applesauce. I love discovering new varieties. I really really like just about everything about apples.

But man, apple season is a lot of work (Apples Kicked my Ass). And I am still in the throes of cheese season, which is a lot of work, too. My heavy-work seasons are not supposed to overlap! I guess there's no law that says I have to start pressing apples the minute they become available. After all, there will still be plenty of apples around in October. I could hold off for a little while.

That sounds like a good idea - wait to start in on apples until I get the goats down to one milking a day. Meanwhile, I can post my annual craigslist ad looking for people with apple trees and for homebrewers.

Might as well go do that now....

4 comments:

Sheryl at Providence North said...

Oh no! Not yet! I'm not ready!

Olive said...

Oh Aimee, I love driving around during apple ripening season, the smell of the apples hanging on the trees waiting to be picked is divine.
The area where we live is full of apple, pear and cherry orchards. Sadly though, many are now being converted to grape growing. You don't get the same heavenly smell from grapes.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

My family and I did a mad rush of canning last weekend, including spiced apples from their apple trees. The house smelled heavenly!

I hope timing works out for you. You certainly have got enough to do right now, there will be apples when you want them later.

Rosa said...

The easiest form of apple processing is dehydrating apple slices - it's about 20 minutes of work a day, for one dehydrator full (wash, slice, lay in dryer; turn after 12 hours; put into jars.)

Luckily I don't have a cheese season so I jump straight from tomato season to apple season with no overlap.