"United we bargain, divided we beg."

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Remote Post: Salsa Verde With My Bro

Greetings from the lovely city of St. Louis, which has kindly chosen to offer me beautiful weather for my vist. It's about 75, sunny with a light breeze, and not humid at all. I'm here visiting my brother, and liking it very much. No kids at all.

Bro and I went to the farmer's market this morning, and bought the ingredients to make pollo en salsa verde. He asked me to teach him make a couple of simple, authentic Mexican dishes, and this spring to mind as one of the simplest and most versatile.

1 pound tomatillos
1 small yellow onion
2 cloves garlic
2 japaleno peppers
several sprigs cilantro
pinch cumin seeds
juice of 2 limes
salt

Remove papery husks of tomatillos, rinse, and boil briefly. Drain and dump into the canister of a blender (my brother doesn't have a blender and so we had to use a rediculously small food processor and do it in batches). Add all other ingrediants and blend well.

In an oiled skillet, sear strips of boneless skinless chicken breast, turned to sear all sides, then pour over the salsa verde and adjust heat to a fast simmer.

Let chicken and salsa simmer while you steam white rice and heat corn tortillas.

Serve with a salad of sliced radishes and cucumbers.

Salsa Verde is wonderfully versatile; you could poach firm white-fleshed fish in it, such as cod or halibut. Or shrimp and scallops! You can reheat leftover, shredded pork or beef roast in it. You can mash an avocado into it and call it guacamole!

It's a very easy way to make a light, fresh tasting Mexican meal, which can be quite elegant if served in pretty dishes, well garnished, and accompanied by a crisp white wine like, oh, say, a very dry reisling.

I'm enjoying my visit quite a bit. The neighborhood my brother lives in is very pretty, with big old oak trees and funky old brick houses. Tomorrow we are going to a baseball game.

6 comments:

Christy said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. I've been to St Loius once and enjoyed it.

Your recipe sounds good. I think I'll try it.

Christy

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

I've never been to St Louis, but I hear that it's really interesting. Enjoy your visit!

I think I'll try your recipe, too! (I've got some chicken in the freezer.) Thank you.

Grandpa said...

I don't know what tomatillos are, but still you are making me hungry!

sunset pines farm said...

oh, how fun! and a yummy recipe to boot.

sunset pines farm said...

oh, how fun! and a yummy recipe to boot.

Aimee said...

Grandpa, you might know ground cherries? They are like those, but not sweet. They are most like a small, unripe tomato wrapped in a papery husk. Remove the husk and rinse before using. Some people eat them raw but I think they are mucvh better cooked.