Oops, that's a picture of bowls full of cherries. When I selected the thumbprint, I thought it was buckets of apples. Oh well - doesn't matter. I didn't take any pictures of the first - and probably only - cider pressing of the year, because I was too busy pressing cider!
We didn't make any cider at all last year, and I missed it. Cidering is very hard work - even if you can convince other people to bring you apples so you don't have to pick them all yourself. But it is so, so worth it. There's almost nothing as good as that first drink of fresh apple cider after the sweat and the aching back of cidering.
Things that are not as good as fresh apple cider:
- finding a twenty dollar bill in the laundry
- coming home to an unexpectedly clean house
- seeing a movie you thought was going to be dumb but it turned out to be really good after all
- losing five pounds somehow without even really trying
- (average) sex
- a phone call from an old friend
- when you thought you were wrong in an argument but later you read something and find out you were right all along
Things that are almost as good as fresh apple cider:
- getting a handwritten letter in the mail from an old friend
- finding a hundred dollar bill on the sidewalk
- surprise bouquet of your favorite flowers from the husband AND an unexpectedly clean house
- discovering a really, really great new author
- that dream, that one dream, swimming effortlessly underwater like a mermaid in a coral garden
- the hot bath you take after a hard day's work on the farm
- baby goats
Things that are better than fresh apple cider:
- only you know the answer to this one. We each have a different answer and I'm not telling mine.