"United we bargain, divided we beg."

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Chevre Chevere!

If I ever go into commercial cheese production (not very likely), the title of this post will be my business name. Chevre, of course, is soft goat cheese, and Chevere is a Mexican slang term that means "cool" or "awesome." Plus, you can sing it to the tune of "chim chim cheree" from Mary Poppins... "chevre chevere, chevre chevere, chevre che-ver-e..." Built in jingle. 


The chevre I made today is by far the best I've ever made. Finally, I achieved the elusive ultra-smooth texture that commercial chevre has but which I haven't been able to duplicate until now. It was an accident, as many culinary achievements are. I put milk to set last night around 8 pm, cultured and renneted. I left it in the oven with the pilot light on until I went to bed at about 11. Then I turned the light off because I'm too OCD to go to sleep with a single light on anywhere in the house (don't ask.).  I meant to take it out and cut the curd in the morning before taking the kids to school, but I forgot.  It was 3 in the afternoon before I managed to get back into the kitchen and finish the cheese. I was worried it would be ruined.

Instead, I think I have discovered - subject to replication of the results, of course - that a longer setting time at a lower temperature produces a smoother curd than a shorter setting time at a higher temperature. 

Next up: feta. Then mozzerella. Then the holy grail: cheddar.

6 comments:

AnyEdge said...

Your jingle is far to clever. I love it. The Franyol is great.

Aimee said...

Franyol?

AnyEdge said...

If spanish and english are spanglish, then wouldn't Frances and Español be:

Frañol? I didn't have the tilde when I posted that. So I used ny.

Aimee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aimee said...

Ah! I like it. But should'nt it be "Esfranyol?" (I don't have a tilda, or I'd have used it.)

Anonymous said...

A Bark Collar is a safe, effective and humane way to train your dog not to bark too much.
Clinical studies conducted by the College of Veterinary medicine of Cornell University have proven that Spray Bark Collars are TWICE as effective as shock collars! Sonic dog barking collars are virtually ineffective compared to spray.