"United we bargain, divided we beg."

Monday, June 20, 2022

Project Pantry (Meatballs and Morels)



Today’s dinner - kinda sorta Swedish meatballs but not really. I had a pound of ground venison from the gleaner’s  pantry that I wanted to use, but I’ve never cooked with it before. As I was perusing google on the subject of ground venison, Swedish meatball recipes kept popping up and they looked great. I’ve never made Swedish meatballs before either, but I have eaten them. I belong to a Lutheran church full of elderly people of Scandinavian heritage. 

After I decided to make Swedish meatballs, I realized that I was short several ingredients, but the benefit of having a deep pantry is that one can always adapt. I don’t have any beef broth, but I have dried morels, so I made more mushroom stock. I consider that an upgrade. I do wish I had fresh dill or parsley, all I have is chives and celery leaves. But who cares, I tasted the sauce and it’s fabulously delicious. 

I can’t remember what Swedish meatballs are traditionally serviced with (which starch, I mean. I know they are served with lingonberry jam but we will make do with blackberry). I’m thinking wild rice would be a good choice to go with the mushroom sauce. 

“Swedish” venison meatballs 

This is how I made them today, substitutions and all. Not how they are “supposed” to be. 

1 pound ground venison 
1/2 pound ground pork 
1 egg
1/2 cup breadcrumbs 
1 teaspoon sugar 
Garlic powder to taste 
Dash cinnamon (go very easy on this, a pinch is plenty) 
Fresh ground black pepper 

Mix all ingredients with hands and shape into meatballs. Place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or tinfoil and bake at 375 for 20 minutes. 

While meatballs are baking, get out a cast iron skillet and make sauce 

2 tablespoons butter 
Two yellow onions, sliced fairly thin ribbons 
Two tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon maggi chicken bouillon 
1 cup give or take dried morels, some broken into small pieces 
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 cups goats milk
Black pepper 
Minced fresh herbs 

Melt butter and sauté onions over medium-low  heat until softened, about ten minutes. Increase heat to medium. Sprinkle over flour and mix with a wooden spoon until well incorporated and onions are coated. Sprinkle maggi and keep stirring. Add mustard and about 1/2 to 3/5 cup water. Add the morels. Stir until sauce smooths out and begins to thicken. Add more water if needed. Then add goat’s milk and stir until smooth. Bring to a simmer but not a boil. Add meatballs. Turn meatballs in sauce and let simmer until sauce is slightly reduced. Just before serving shower with herbs and fresh ground pepper. 

Breakdown: 

From the gleaners pantry: 

Venison 
Pork
Bread (for crumbs)
Maggi chicken bouillon 
Flour 

From the farm or trade network:

Egg 
Herbs 
Goat’s milk 
Morels 

From the grocery store:

Butter
Onions 
Mustard
Pepper 




1 comments:

Donna said...

This sounds great. And I have some ground venison in the freezer too!