"United we bargain, divided we beg."

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Winter Haiku

Hot tea in my mug
winter outside the window
study in contrast

A beautiful sight

winter pulls her cold white cloak
over the mountain

Farm chores in the snow
horse's breath makes warm white clouds
pigs snug in straw beds

On the third day stuck at home, snowed in, tired of playing Scrabble with six year olds and having rifled through the stack of DVD's more than once without piquing my interest, I turn to an older pursuit: poetry. Haikus are lovely - so beautifully easy to write, and so soothing in their single-minded simplicity. I wish I had someone ere who liked them as much as I do so we could sit across from each other at the kitchen table, hot cocoa in hand, and play the game of speaking in haiku for as long as we can.

Three days is too long
to watch TV with the kids
I long for power outage

3 comments:

Rowan said...

I can't imagine
How you couldn't think of me
I also like them

I'm a little mad
That you didn't think I count
I like haikus too

Laura said...

Rain, snow, wind;
Sounds we've all been missing here
Time for a warm fire.

Aimee said...

I apologize
To my poetic daughter
Would you like some tea?